Our worship and how we live out our Christian lives in the world is informed by what we learn about our faith tradition. St. James offers a diverse array of educational programming for all ages.
Adult Forum meets in the Parish Library on most Sunday mornings at 9 AM. Drop-ins welcome! With a few exceptions, we will be viewing a series of video workshops titled Violence Divine by renowned scholar John Dominic Crossan with time for discussion afterwards. In these videos, Crossan summarizes his book How to Read the Bible and Still be a Christian: Struggling with Divine Violence from Genesis Through Revelation. Forum schedule and topics:
- Sept. 18: Rev. Kelley’s African Earthwatch Project
- Sept. 25: Violence Divine: An Epic Matrix
- Oct. 2: Violence Divine: Sin & Escalatory Violence
- Oct. 9: Violence Divine: The Heart of the Torah
- Oct. 16: Violence Divine: Deuteronomy Rules
- Oct. 23: Violence Divine: Undecided Justice
- Oct. 30: Violence Divine: NOT the End of the World
- Nov. 6: Report on Diocesan Convention
- Nov. 13: Violence Divine: The “Violentization” of Jesus
- Nov. 20: Violence Divine: Overcoming the Bible’s Betrayal of its Non-violent God
- Nov. 27: No forum
Sunday School and Youth Group
Sunday School provides our children and young adults with a rich and balanced understanding of the faith that encourages questioning and discussion, while putting faith into every-day practice. Education includes Confirmation classes (based on child age) as they prepare to make a mature commitment to Christian life. Teens coordinate and participate in various Youth Group activities.
Education for Ministry
Education for Ministry (EFM) is a four-year study and group reflection process for the formation of Christiam ministry through the development of knowledge, attitudes, and skills. This program is for individuals seeking to grow their faith and move to a deeper understanding of God in their lives. Classes run September through May. For more information about the program and fees, contact Mary Banecker (215-757-7558).
Saint James Preschool
Saint James Preschool helps all children in our care grow in their personal relationship with the Lord. The school is fully non-profit and is operated by the director, teachers, and a volunteer parent board. Visit www.stjamespreschool.org for more information.